AN ICONIC WONDER
The unique Great Barrier Reef Arena positioning is designed to promote the region’s attractions to external markets and inspire visitation through Australia’s premier tourism asset.
The Great Barrier Reef attracts over 2 million people to the Mackay and Whitsundays region each year and is Queensland’s primary tourism attraction.
The reef is also prominent feature of marketing campaigns led by Tourism Australia, Tourism and Events Queensland and Regional Tourism Organisations.
• The positioning capitalises on connection with domestic and international markets through the promotion, broadcast and digital streaming of popular major sporting events, including AFL and cricket
• It creates new capacity to market GBR holiday packages through major events and provide unique opportunities for the hosting of professional sporting Clubs from around Australia
• GBRA is partnering with key tourism bodies and industry to ensure full value of the positioning is realised through event scheduling, packaging and marketing
The opportunity for sale of commercial Arena naming rights was declined in favour of adopting an identity that delivers permanent value for the region’s visitor economy and community.
AN ANCHOR DESTINATION
Great Barrier Reef Arena is a flagship events destination that delivers new tourism product and ignites visitation from multiple markets to the many tourism assets on our doorstep.
The presentation and targeted marketing of major sport, cultural and entertainment events at Great Barrier Reef Arena will boost visitor attraction, spending and length of stay across the Mackay, Isaac and Whitsundays regions.
The national broadcast of major sporting events from GBRA also provides far-reaching exposure for the region’s natural attractions and inspires the decision to visit.
THE VALUE OF EVENT DRIVEN VISITATION
• 38% of all Australian travellers have previously booked holidays of four nights or more to coincide with events. This is usual behaviour for 17% of all travellers.
• Festival and event goers have a clear preference for regional destinations – and are repeat customers
• 34% of festival and event goers travelled to regional Australia on their most recent trip
• The most popular form of event attended was a sporting event
• Festival and event goers stayed longer when visiting regional Australia with an average length of stay of 6.7 nights in regional Australia compared with 6.1 nights in capital cities
Events staged at Great Barrier Reef Arena will deliver an estimated additional 54,000+ visitor nights to the region each year
Great Barrier Reef Arena marketing focuses upon utilising Club, partner and event connection to drive visitation to the venue and region from local and domestic markets throughout the year.
• Tourism Industry Partners
• Sports Industry Partners
• Event Partners & Producers
• Media Partners
• Corporate & Community Partners
• Government Agency Partners
• Harrup Park Club Members & Affiliates
Continuous visibility will combine with sector and event specific campaigns to drive connection with the GBRA offering.
Key channels include:
• Online presence & targeted social media
• National, State and Regional Tourism campaigns
• Partnered event packaging and promotion
• Airport & Transport Hub Presence
• Media Editorial & Advertising
• Corporate & Social Event Packaging
• Event Inspired Visitors
• Domestic Holidaymakers
• International Event & Destination Visitors
• Elite & Grassroots Sporting Clubs
• Corporate Markets
• Local & Regional Community
• Harrup Park Members